Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Tool #10: Digital Citizenship

Discuss at least three things you would want to make sure your students understand about being good digital citizens.
I want my students to know that the Internet connects them to the real world, and that bad choices can result in real world danger. Students are used to games, and virtual situations, and it is easy for them to ignore real risks.

I want my students to know that they need to be responsible for their behavior, and must avoid hurting others through online activities.

I want my students to know that the emphasis on safety and responsible behavior is not meant to limit them, but to expand their opportunities. It will give them a framework to safely explore and interact with the digital community.

Share at least one of the resources mentioned above or on the Ed Tech website that you plan to use instructionally.
The Cybersmart for Teens site has content that is appropriate for my high school students, and seems to be in a format that students will find engaging. I plan to use some activities from that site.
Explain briefly how you would "teach" the idea of digital citizenship to your students.
Verbal and written instructions on acceptable use of technology will be provided. Information will be provided on my website for review by parent and students. Students will discuss their previous experiences, and identify dangers that they recognize and already avoid. I will use techology to teach how to use technology. One of the first lessons on the new equipment will be students using the Cybersmart for Teens site.

Explain briefly how you plan to share the idea of digital citizenship with your parents.
Students will be provided with a letter explaining key ideas, to be discussed with their parents and returned, signed by their parents. This will insure communication with parents who do not have access to a computer. More detailed information will be available on my website.

No comments:

Post a Comment